Posts

Showing posts from January, 2015

(Part of) My Designer Vinyl Collection

Image
Updated with my new shelves. Hackberry wood (live edge) from Urban Lumber Company with IKEA Ekby Lerberg brackets painted in Rust-Oleum Satin Lagoon




Top Row (L to R): Transformers MP-13 Soundwave (Takara version), Lego 6951 Robot Command Center, Gentle Giant 12" GONK Droid, 400% Kubrick Alien Warrior, Gentle Giant 12" Vintage Boba Fett

2nd Row: Frankoma Pottery, Kozik Choice Cuts Labbit, Jeremyfish Skull Bunny, Tristan Eaton Floral Pleasure Bot, 100% Kubrick Stormtooper, Mighty Muggs Stormtrooper, Kathie Olivas Silver Winston (Tenacious Toys Exclusive), MADL Ninja Dunny

3rd Row: WWRp Dirty Deeds Bertie, Onell Design Custom Corps 2.7 Armodoc #13, Mezco Rocket Pack Hellboy, Mars-1 Observer with Invisible Plan. Moon print by Hammerpress

Bottom Row: FERG Green Mini Misfortune Cat 2.5%, custom Triceratons/BoneBreaker, Melissa Goodwin custom Mighty Mugg Han Solo in Carbonite, Healymade Wilde En Resin, Blue Mini Deathra, custom Drill Man Seismic Ace, Damage Brain Black Mummy Neon Yello…

DIY iPad Gramophone Amplifier Project

Image
I had a really good time making this first version of a gramophone iPad amplifier, after seeing one at Restoration Hardware.


I was lucky enough to find a gramophone-style horn at Stuffology in Kansas City's West Bottoms. I'm not sure what type of player it came from. It is definitely not a 'gramophone' brand, since the bottom of it is brass and has an L-shaped bend in it. This fact actually saved me considerable time and effort and tool cost when carving out the channel.

EDIT: Upon further research, this horn is from an Edison Model H19, available from 1919 to 1927

To prep the horn itself, I had to cut off a horizontal bar on the front of the horn, then used my Drimel to sand off all of the old paint, then used steel wool and CLR to clean it up. I used Rustoleum Universal Paint & Primer Gloss Black.




For the wood base, I went to The Urban Lumber Company in Missouri, climbed around on the scrap wood heap with Tim, and found a nice piece of ash with the right dimensio…