US-132 Navy Modified Mark III Gas Mask 1942

I knew when I saw this gas mask at a local antique mall that I was looking at something special, and HAD to have it. It was labeled as a Korean War Fighter Pilot Oxygen Mask, and I got it for a steal at $80!

It took me a while to determine what exactly I was looking at. The attached tag was a big head start referencing the Diaphragm Mark III and IV, along with the giant USN stamped on the forehead.


The shape of the eyes told me it was a Mark III. However, it wasn't the typical Mark III gas mask. The normal gas mask has shorter hoses, which terminate into the canister. Mine was clearly modified. I finally found it on gasmasks.net (which is no longer in service). That site declared this particular mask Rare, and theorized it was modified in order to become a diving mask. The US Navy has a full website detailing adapting these gas masks into shallow water diving masks:


I also found a great photo set of another modified Mark III belonging to Rod Munoz:


So those are my sources for info, here are a couple more photos. Currently I have the gas mask hanging on my wall. I am very tempted to use it in some Cosplay as one of Ashley Wood's de Plume's as well.











Comments

I have the documentation on this mask please contact me
Soja rinn said…
I could not track down your contact info on blogger. You can email me at jma79x gmail.
donnaj edwards said…
Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. Swimming Goggles with Power

Popular posts from this blog

2015 Ford Fusion Replacement Rear Deck Subwoofers

Kelly Martin Calahan

Ikea Malm, Lack, & Expedit