Ready Made

One of my new favorite magazines is Ready Made, a DIY 'zine. Last issue was this cool modern bowl that I'm planning on doing this month:




by Paul Schifinophoto Photo credit: Aya Brackett

Mold a modernist bowl from construction-site refuse

Ingredients:

Orange construction netting

Tools:

Ruler
Scissors
Wok lid
Screwdriver
Aluminum foil
Oven
3 small flowerpots
Oven mitts
Newspaper

1. I once saw a bowl made from melted toy soldiers in ReadyMade, and I figured I could make a nice “woven” bowl by applying the same principle here. The first thing I did was cut two circles, 19" in diameter, out of construction netting.

2. My wok lid had a nice shape to it, so I removed the wooden knob and covered the outside with aluminum foil.

3. With the rack in the lowest position, I set three small flowerpots in the center of my oven and placed the lid on top.

4. I turned on the oven, and when it hit 400°, I carefully centered the two pieces of netting on top of the wok.

5. With the oven door closed and the light on, I watched and waited. In a couple of minutes the netting began to melt.

6. When the pieces draped completely over the wok lid, I turned off the oven, removed the whole thing (flowerpots and all), and set it on newspaper I’d laid out on the countertop.

7. Once it cooled, I pulled the netting off the lid and admired my new orange crush.

{Safety First} If you’re concerned about fumes, you’re right to be. Make sure to work in a well-ventilated place, or “cook” your bowl on an outdoor barbeque.

{ tip } If you can’t find any netting to salvage, buy a roll at utilitysafeguard.com.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hey bro, good to see that you have a blog now. Be consistent with it, unlike me! I'm trying to get better at it. Hope you all are doing well...

Popular posts from this blog

2015 Ford Fusion Replacement Rear Deck Subwoofers

Kelly Martin Calahan

Ikea Malm, Lack, & Expedit